The Taunton Flyer Sportive - Saturday 10th May 2014
The Taunton Flyer is a fabulous new 100k sportive for your 2014 season. Departing from Taunton Racecourse, the Taunton Flyer takes you South with a gentle spin into Corfe before testing the legs on a 1000 ft climb up into the Blackdown Hills. From here you will descend through the stunning Culm Valley down to Broadclyst (Feed Zone). Suitably refreshed, you will then return to Taunton Racecourse via Exeter Airport and the historic wartime airfields of RAF Dunkerswell, RAF Upottery (Smeatharpe), and RAF Culmhead. This is a great early season sportive, with lots of nice flat open roads combined with a couple of testing climbs into the Blackdown Hills.
For those looking for something a little easier, there is the half distance (54 km / 34 miles) 'Spitfire' route which follows the longer 'Dakota' route South to Hemyock and then cuts back across to the old RAF Dunkerswell airfield to rejoin with the 'Dakota' (100 k) route back to Taunton Racecourse.
This sportive will be chip timed and has Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal standards for both age and gender categories. Medals will be awarded to all finishers.
The Taunton Flyer also has a special 'VINTAGE CLASS' for anyone who would like to participate using a vintage bicycle. There will be some great prizes to be won for those who enter into the theme of this event by participating with wartime period bicycles and attire (1939-1945).
The inaugural Taunton Flyer Sportive will take place on Saturday 10th May 2014 and will be limited to 500 places. Entries open on December 2nd and it is anticipated that this will be a popular event so eary registration is recommended.
WHAT YOU GET FOR YOUR ENTRY FEE:
- Online entry and secure credit card payment through British Cycling
- Regular email newsletter
- Riders pack posted out prior to the event. No need to register on the day of the ride
- Free car parking at Taunton Racecourse
- Electronic timing with disposable chip that you don't need to return after the ride
- Well signed and marshalled Routes
- Mechanical support
- Rider Recovery Service for you and your bike should you have to retire from the ride
- First aid cover.
- Well stocked Feed Zones with water, High 5 energy drink, energy bars & Gels, plus a selection of sweet and savoury foods
- Gold, Silver and Bronze medal standards for age and gender category
- Finisher's medal
- Event T-Shirt
- Live, online results.
- and a fantastic days cycling through Somerset & Devon :)
The Taunton Flyer will be supporting SSAFA as it's nominated charity.